"I like to be a free spirit. Some don't like that, but that's the way I am." - Princess Diana

Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Let The Games Begin.

 Author's Note:  In gym class we recently played the Hunger Games in the woods out side of our school it was a lot of fun but it had me thinking, what if I were in the Hunger Games? The Hunger Games is merely a fantastic piece of literature and symbolism that was very well pronounced in 3 novels. I do like the story a lot but, nothing can cover up One Direction. This is just another story that is fun to write and rewrite about.


“Kaylie mail for you!”, my mom says up the stairs. “Be right there!”, I say as I place the Hunger Games book down on my desk. “Who’s it from?”, I say as I take the letter. “The United States Government, did you do anything wrong?”, my mom says as she watches me open the letter. “No, I never did.” I say as I start to read the letter. “Dear Kaylie Easterdeen,  We are pleased to inform you that you have been selected to participate in the 74th annual Summer Program. Your abilities have proved yourself worthy of this honor. Thank you and we hope to see you this summer. And don’t speak of this to anyone except you and your family. Sincerely, President Sun.”, I read as I examine the letter. “This is a great opportunity! And look, it says you are going with....Peter Melik. He is that nice boy in your English class!”, my mom says as she looks over the letter. “Wait, if this is the 74th, then why hasn’t anyone ever heard of it.” I say as I think this could all be a joke. “It’s probably really secretive.”, my mom says. I say in reply, “That’s weird, in my book, Katniss just volunteered as tribute.”

My bags were packed and I grab my book of my desk, I’m at the part where Katniss and Peeta are on the train. I get in the huge car with black tinted windows.
When I get in there are men in black suits, sunglasses, and earpieces. They didn’t say a word. “Where are we going exactly...”I say since we have been driving for at least an hour. “It will be another 2 hours.” ,the man says in a deep dark voice. They have just been sitting there, staring, at nothing. I know it will be a while so I start to read. I pull out my book and the men start staring at me and mumbling. I just bury my face in my book until the car stops and I hear a boom.

The man opens my door and I step out and see a platform that can lower under ground. I’m told to step on it. When I do it lowers to the underground and I see a medicine bed and a bunch of stylists. They don’t say a word. All they do change my clothes and fix my hair into a braid. Wow, just like Katniss. “What is going on, why are you dressing me up like Katniss, WAIT. Am I in the Hunger Games?”, I say as the stylists finish and one of them places his finger over my mouth and places a mockingJay pin on my jacket. I am Katniss.


I place my book in my small bag and they take away my phone and everything else. In the book,  I am at the part where the tributes are on the podiums where the hunger games begins. Just like what’s gonna happen to me. I am told to stand on the podium as it rises and I see 23 other people in the same position, confused. I turn to my right and see Peter, him and Peeta are identical. I look around and see all of these teenagers that look exactly like the other tributes in the book. Did the government try to reenact the Hunger Games? I guess this has been going on for longer than the time the book came out. Why am I Katniss?

5...4...3...2...1. Everyone starts to run to the center where all of the weapons are. I start to sprint to the bow and arrow because it’s the only thing I know how to use. (since I took lessons as a kid.) I sprint into the woods but before I do, I see people slaughtering each other in the center or the Cornucopia. I guess this is real, this is the Hunger Games. I run as far as I can in the woods. I find a tree to climb and through my bag up on one of the branches. I climb up to the tree to the top. I look around but all that I can find is my book....WAIT! Thats it! My book! I can read that to see what happens next and what I should do. I don’t know if my character, Katniss, lives or dies, but I guess I’m going to find out.

I’m half way through the book and I have done everything that Katniss did. I’m at the part where the careers are looking for me in the woods. Just as I finish that chapter I hear, “Hey look, There she is! Common guys. Let’s get her.”, The big tall one says. That must be the Cato. I turn and run. As I sprint I figure I have to climb a tall tree to make sure they can’t catch me. I start to climb and Cato is right behind me. I get to a branch and pull out my bow and arrow and point it straight at him, I miss. “I’ve got you now!”,He grabs on to an unsteady branch and falls. “Lets wait here guys, she will come down sometime.”, Cato says to the other careers. They set up camp under my tree and I keep reading my book, it says that there is a tracker jacker hive nearby and Katniss gets stung by one. It says she has unimaginable illusions. Now, I don’t want that to happen to me. So I wake up early look around, find the nest, and grab one of my bow and arrows and start to cut the branch. It cuts and falls right on them and has the same effect like in the book. I couldn’t believe it worked! I really felt like Katniss right here well without the hallucinations.

I followed everything the book said and I’m still alive but, in the book, the people of the captial were watching your every move. Now, its just the people of the government. Now I’m at the part of the story where Katniss reunites with Peeta and defeats Cato. I found Peter while running from Fox face and we hid in the cave just like the book. Lucky for me, Peter wasn’t wounded. We had got to know each other well, he looked exactly like Peeta which was a bonus, but I had to focus on being Katniss and winning the games. Peter and I fought Cato and won. Peter grabbed me and said “Kaylie? Kaylie?” I woke up in the middle of English to Peter’s voice. “Kaylie? Wake up we are starting a new book and I grabbed you a copy” He hands it to me and smiles. It was the Hunger Games.

No comments:

Post a Comment