"I like to be a free spirit. Some don't like that, but that's the way I am." - Princess Diana

Wednesday, December 7, 2011

The Life He Will Always Remember

   Author's Note: This short story was written to describe the life of an old person. I chose to focus on his past life, more than the present. It is told from the point of view of this man. This piece is part of our Creative Writing Work.

    I remember that war like it was yesterday. I remember the clear sky and the crisp air, spring had just begun. I awoke in the shelter to gun shots and bombs going off. My mama peers out of our shelter and sees the Germans marching in our land. She closes it quickly, locks it, and runs to me and my sister. She holds me so tightly as the tears are rolling down her eyes. “Mama, whats going on?”, I whispered with this shaky voice. “Shh, don’t make noise, please.”, Mama says with this troubling voice. I didn’t know it at the time, but this was the day that the German Nazis invaded Denmark.

    I was a young, Jewish boy with a mama and a younger sister named Anna-Marie. We were in a very small bomb shelter in my backyard. This was during World War 2. I was a 10 year old boy who didn’t know exactly what was going on. Now I'm an old man, with much life experience. I lived during the whole world war, but my sister didn’t. Close to the end of the war she was captured and put in a concentration camp. After the war, me and my mother got word that she didn’t make it. She was only 7 years old at the time. I miss her everyday. I have a wife, 4 children, and 14 grand-kids. I have this whole family and so many stories to share. I never gave up who I was and I am proud that my family won’t either, even when times get hard.

No comments:

Post a Comment